We all feel sad at different times in our lives. Major depression is when sadness negatively impacts life for a long period of time. People struggling with depression feel a sense of severe despair like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Major depression impacts every aspect of our life: physical, relational and work. Some people have major depression once in their life while others have it several times.
People struggling with depression have at least two or more of these symptoms that lasts more than two weeks:
- Tired and loss of energy almost everyday
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Insomnia or hypersomina (excessive sleep) almost everyday
- Loss of enjoyment or pleasure in almost all activities
- Restlessness or feeling slowed down
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Significant gain or loss of weight
- Irritability and/or anger outbursts
- Drug or Alcohol Abuse
Whether or not a person requires medication, the counselling process is an essential part of understanding major depression. It is only through counselling that one is able to become aware of how depression can impact our thoughts, feelings, behaviours and attachments. We also practise with our clients effective mindfulness and visualizations. If you find depression is getting in the way of you living your life – you are not alone. Many people seek professionals like us for help.
We also work with clients suffering from Postpartum Depression and Minor Depression.